I tried out a wonderful muffin recipe yesterday from Kitchen Meets Girl, for a client. I used organic ingredients and whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour. Delish!
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups plain low-fat yogurt
- For the drizzle:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 425. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with cupcakes liners and set aside. Mix flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat sugar, butter, and lemon zest on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients in two installments, alternating with 3 additions of yogurt. DO NOT OVER MIX, or your muffins will turn out hard and tough.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Don't be afraid to fill them all the way to the top!
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425, and then lower oven temperature to 375. Bake another 15 to 18 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from tin to wire rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle over cooled muffins.
recipe from Cook's Illustrated, baking tips from Sally's Baking Addiction